Thursday, January 28, 2010

Week 3 EOC - Great Customer Experience

When it comes to one of my least favorite activities – banking, I chose my preferred branch location over another one closer to where I live, because of the excellent customer service. When I went to the branch closer to me, I always left with a feeling that the experience was negative. From the moment I walked in the door, there were security scanners, locked doors that buzzed you in, and armed security guards. Once inside, there were long lines and tellers with poor customer skills. I felt they could care less about me. Some words that I associate with that branch include; busy, impersonal, routine, boring, disinterested, frustrating, and inconvenient. I would dread going there.

I had heard through word of mouth that the other branch, about 4 miles further away, however, at least had sugary sweet tellers that always smiled at you and treated you like royalty. I thought to myself, “This I gotta see!”. When I first visited the branch, the main thing I was expecting was the bright and cheery tellers I was told I would get. I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed that, indeed, every teller spoke to every customer with a smile and an attitude of going out of their way to be polite and helpful. They called each customer by name and seemed to genuinely care about each one. What a difference in the environment! And I couldn’t believe there was no line. The best kept secret in town, I thought. Each time I visit this branch I feel as if I’m the most important person in the world. I’m greeted with a smile, addressed politely by name at the teller window, and asked if there is anything else that they can help me with. If I’m seated waiting for someone else, I’m approached by an employee and asked if I’ve been helped.

With all the different banks for customers to choose from, and the money pressures banking customers are faced with, I’m sure that good customer service is a competitive advantage in the business, and that training in this area can go a long way in creating a positive customer experience, resulting in customer loyalty. It’s an example of relationship marketing. What makes me remember my bank, enough to write about it in this blog post, is, that being there is actually a pleasant experience. And that’s saying a lot when it comes to one my least favorite activities – banking.

No comments:

Post a Comment